11.25.2007

2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5




I did it! I got my license and bought my first car all in a weeks time. I've been car shopping for a few weeks now and had narrowed my search down to a 3 Series BMW, a Z4, or possibly a Pontiac Solstice. Then on Friday morning, the day I was heading out to test drive cars after two previous visits to dealerships, I got a car insurance reality check. Being a brand new driver some places wouldn't even insure me. Those that would had astronomical premiums. Insurance alone was higher then the car payments I had planned on so I had to completely rework my budget and put off my dreams of driving a luxury/sports car. Boo.

I went back to my car research and came up with a plan B. At the top of the list, a Volkswagen Beetle and a used BMW Z3. Both had everything I was looking for and were priced right. Off to CarMax to spend the afternoon test driving. I brought Jeff with me so of course we had to take out some cars for him too. The first on the list, a Chrysler 300 with the SRT8 package. Ooooo, Ahhhhh. It has everything, power, luxury, a big fat price tag.

Moving on. Next we took out the convertible VW Beetle. Immediately we started having problems with the top indicator light. It kept saying there was a problem so we couldn't test that specific car. We took out a second Bug, which was fine, but the problem with the first one tainted the whole thing for me. I also felt it was a little too low on power. You really have to hit the gas to get it to go. Jeff suggested a Jetta. DUH! Of course. I had considered it many times before. We glanced over an older model Jetta and then discovered a 2005 across the lot in Silver. I never thought of myself as a silver sedan sort of girl. Booor-ing! But as soon as I was behind the wheel I knew this was the car. Aside from lacking in the sun-roof department it had all the bells and whistles I was looking for and then some.

6 Disk CD Changer
Dual Climate zones
Leatherette upholstery (no cows harmed in the making of my Jetta)
Two seat warmers
Power everything
and it came with Z rated tires to boot.







We finished the day test driving a BMW 330i, which was REALLY nice but out of my price range. Jeff says it's his next car. He loved it. Secretly, I hope it is his next car.

In the mean time, if you see me cruising in my Jetta, give me a wave.


1 comment: