9.30.2007

Dave Matthews Band


Concert for Virginia Tech 9/6/07, originally uploaded by Spector1.

Well, it's that time of the year again. I've never been much for annual traditions but after my first Dave Matthews Band concert at the Worcester Centrum in 1998, I was hooked and have made it to at least one show (some times as many as three) each year since. This year was no exception. My good friend Lauren is a member of the DMB fan club, The Warehouse, and has been for years. The membership has its perks, the best of which includes access to tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Over the last several years she has been generous enough to request tickets for two shows each summer and selling me the tickets to whichever show she wasn't planning to attend. This selfless act has pretty much solidified that my first born child will be called Lauren. Could be awkward if it's a boy but little Lauren will be proud after his first DMB show.

Many months ago, before I knew where I would be living in San Diego, how I would get there or what I would do for work, I was sure of one thing... I HAD to have tickets to Dave Matthews in Chula Vista, California for September's show. And Lauren, being the good friend and DMB fanatic she didn't question my priorities for an instant.

Fast forward to September 28th, 2007 I have two tickets in hand (a place to live and a job) and one new friend, April, who also happens to love the band. April had never seen DMB before and the only thing I like better then seeing Dave is seeing Dave with someone who's never seen him live before. The thing about Dave Matthews a lot of people don't realize is that while they are incredibly talented musicians on the radio nothing can touch them live. Their skill truly has to be appreciated in person where you can feel the crowd's energy and observe how the band meshes together.

As always the show was great. The tickets, even better. We were in the lower pavilion all the way to the left only about 50 yards from the stage, tops. While this was the first show I had been to that wasn't sold out, you could hardly tell as the seats seemed nearly full. While security, in usual fashion, was tough at first, quickly squashing anyone's attempt to take personal photos or dance in the isles, they backed off after about 10 minutes into the show and fans could do as they liked.

The band was on point, playing well and full of energy. Dave broke into dance (his old school 90s style) at several points and the crowd was treated to several solos, of which the most impressive was Stefan's bass guitar solo. The only thing more impressive then the band's energy was that of guest electric guitarist Joe Lawlor who worked the crowed into a frenzy. He was incredible and I'd love to see more of him on tour with DMB in the future.

April has some photos from the show that I will post later. For now though, here's the set list:

Dave Matthews Band
September 28, 2007
Coors Amphitheater, Chula Vista, CA


Sugar Will (Tease) G1
Granny G1 G2
Don't Drink the Water G1 G2
Corn Bread G1 G2
Grey Street G1 G2
You Never Know G1 G2
Crush G1 G2
#27 G1 G2
Dreamgirl G1 G2
Shotgun G1 G2
Eh Hee G1 G2
You Might Die Trying G1 G2
Dancing Nancies ...> G1 G2
Warehouse G1 G2
Stand Up G1 G2 G3
Typical Situation G1 G2
Everyday G1 G2
Ants Marching G1 G2
Encore:
Gravedigger ~ G1
Tripping Billies G1 G2

Guests:
G1 Butch Taylor
G2 Rashawn Ross
G3 Joe Lawlor

Notes:
~ Dave Solo

2 comments:

  1. OK, I almost just peed my pants. You could call your son Loren, which is the name of the lead singer of The Breakman...lol. Glad you enjoyed the tix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, Loren. When you spell it that way it doesn't seem so awkward. :P

    ReplyDelete